The centers for these peppermint patties are just sweetened condensed milk, peppermint extract, vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Stir it all together either by hand or by your Kitchen Aid Mixer until a dough forms, then use a cookie cutter or a shot glass to cut out rounds of the peppermint mixture.
You can make these patties as big or as small as you like, I use a shot glass as my cookie cutter. The centers need to be very cold before they get a dip in chocolate, so put them in the freezer for 15 minutes before you start this step.
You’ll want to work quickly as you dip the patties, I use a fork to toss them in the chocolate, and then I tap the fork to remove any excess chocolate. I do this twice, between each coating, I place them back into the freezer for 15 minutes till cold and then apply a second coat of chocolate.
Add festive holiday sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet- after the second coat. Then let cool in freezer again for another 15 minutes. Once cool, use a paring knife to cut any dripped frozen chocolate away only leaving a perfect circle. Place onto decorative plate and you’ll have a fun and delicious holiday treat!
People will be impressed to hear that you make them yourself! The first year I did this recipe, I was accused of buying them at a store. I’m adding these peppermint patties to my must-make list when entertaining, and I love that they don’t need an oven!
Peppermint Patties Recipe
An easy homemade peppermint patties recipe is the ultimate holiday treat. A creamy peppermint center is surrounded by dark chocolate and finished off with festive sprinkles.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1/2 cup holiday sprinkles
- Place the condensed milk, peppermint extract and vanilla extract in the bowl of a mixer. Add half of the powdered sugar and beat with a mixer on low speed. Gradually add the remaining powdered sugar. Beat until a smooth dough form.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over a piece of parchment paper. Place the peppermint dough on the parchment and sprinkle powdered sugar over the top. Roll into a 1/2-inch-thick circle.
- Using a 1 or 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles from the dough. If your dough does not cut easily, simply place it in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up, then try again.
- Transfer the peppermint rounds to a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover and freeze for 10-15 minutes.
- Place the chocolate and shortening in a medium microwave safe bowl. Cook at 30 second intervals until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Using a fork, dip the patties one by one in the chocolate, then place on a piece of parchment. Add sprinkles immediately. Let cool until set, then serve. Store in the refrigerator.
Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 217mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 44g | Vitamin A: 1% | Vitamin C: 0.4% | Calcium: 5.5% | Iron: 10.8%